Friday, September 10, 2010

Stonehenge!

I am SO exhausted from another long day of sightseeing! This morning my roommates and I got up at what felt like the crack of dawn (ie 6:45am haha) to get ready to see Stonehenge & a cute little town called Salisbury.

Salisbury dates back more than 500 years! It was the most adorable town I think I have ever seen. Everything was winding little streets, cobblestone, you name it. Then we took a tour through the Salisbury Cathedral which was breathtaking! It's the home of 1 of the 4 copies of the magna carta.


And of course I had to take one of these pictures for kicks.

Stonehenge was just as amazing as Salisbury! I was a little surprised that it's was really, really close to a main highway, yet still in the countryside. It's really amazing to think just how and who built this and how they brought the stones here from across England (our tour guide said that some of the rocks came from almost 50 miles away). I was amazed at just how the top rock was put on top of the other ones!


3 comments:

  1. the day i went to stonehenge MY CAMERA BROKE D:

    but omg that little town sounds adorable. i'll have to put that on the list of places to visit once i'm back in england.

    were there a ton of sheep in the fields near stonehenge? there was when i was there. it was pretty funny actually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah there were so many sheep around stonehenge! Were you surprised by what it was around?

    I kept thinking "okay I'm driving 2 hours to see Stonehenge, it must be out in the midde of nowhere" and then on one side it's miles of farm, and on the other, a major highway.

    Weird!

    Definitely put Salisbury on your list of places to see! Words can't describe how adorable it was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I was so surprised to see how close to the road it was! I took a picture of that so you could see how close it was. Imagine driving to work everyday and having to pass stonehenge? Crazy. And I will most definitely put that on my list! Windsor is an adorable town too. We were there when I saw windsor castle.

    ReplyDelete