Sunday, September 19, 2010

I love london weekend - part 2!

This morning, two of my roommates and I set out on another walking tour of London and we were able to see the more tourist-y side of things! Our tour guide is a history major and one of the local colleges so she was able to tell us really interesting things about the city, including stories about people breaking into Buckingham Palace in the 80's!

The Queen wasn't actually in the Palace this weekend so we weren't able to get a picture with the guards, but seeing the palace itself was amazing. The gates are so ornate!


Next, we went to Westminster Abbey and St. Margaret's Church (above). We weren't able to go inside because of the Pope's visit this weekend (press and security everywhere!) but it was amazing just to see the architecture of it. It's overwhelming to think to myself: someone was standing right here, looking at this church 500 years ago!


Seeing Big Ben was probably my favorite part of the day. The picture doesn't really do it justice - the actual clock portion of the tower is bright gold & it chimes every 15 minutes! It really is an iconic part of London that can't be missed by any visitor!


In other news, I'm finally starting to feel better after a week of coughing & congestion! As much as I love the Tube transportation system here, I really think it's a breeding ground for germs & I blame it for my cold!

1 comment:

  1. how awesome. i remember seeing big ben was probably my favorite thing. it's just so iconic! in fact my wallpaper (on my brand, spankin' new macbrook pro ;}) is big ben and parliament at night all it up. so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete