Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Fight for your right!

Well today was the first day of my internship and also happened to be the first day of a massive tube strike in London (tube = subway here). I'm not 100% sure why everyone went on strike, but basically the entire subway system was down from last night and will be until tomorrow morning.


I ended up walking 45 mins to my internship (yuck!) and got lost for 45mins leaving (yuck!).

I'm interning at another publicity firm, similar to the one I was at this summer. Although I'm a marketing minor, I love, love, love publicity! (and they are somewhat similar anyways). I spent most of today contacting British magazines and blogs about interviewing some of the firm's artists. There are only 5 other people working in the office so it's really nice to be able to really get to know everyone.

It's kind of funny seeing how much stress and craziness something like the tube strike could cause. When you really think about it, so many societies rely 100% on these structures. It makes you wonder how on earth people traveled anywhere before buses and subways.

2 comments:

  1. oh man i couldn't imagine NOT using the tube while there.

    fortunately it's only 24 hours, but i was reading online and there are 3 more scheduled within the next few months:

    "And this is not the end. Although this strike is scheduled to end Tuesday night, three other 24-hour strikes are scheduled on Oct. 3, Nov. 2 and 28."

    :[ just a heads up for you. i really dont get why they do these strikes when so many people rely on the tube to get around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yikes! I knew there were a few more but I didn't know which days they had them planned for.

    I personally lucked out that my internship wasn't too far and it was really good weather that day. My roommates, on the other hand, got stuck taking the bus and were hours late to theirs.

    The tube here has its pros and cons vs the subway in nyc I guess haha

    ReplyDelete