Thursday, February 24, 2011

Tasty Thursday

My dad's side of my family is 100% Italian - my great grandparents were 'off the boat' and my grandma holds up family tradition each Sunday by making a huge lunch for me, my siblings, my dad, uncle and aunt.
Last Sunday, a few hours after we finished eating and cleaning up, we had to take her to the ER with chest pains and they found an aneurysm in her heart. She was discharged today and the first thing asked was if my sister and I could make lunch this Sunday because none of us want to miss it!

Since it's her heart that's being affected, she's on orders to be on a low-sodium low-fat diet so I'm trying to search for some recipes that cater to it! These broccoli chips look so yummy and I think I can tweak some things (ex eggs -> egg beaters or something along those lines) so that she can enjoy it.

Baked Broccoli Chips


Ingredients:
Broccoli stems sliced into thin coins (as many as you like)
1 cup panko bread crumbs
a shallow bowl of egg wash (1 egg plus a splash of milk whisked together)
A good dash of salt, onion powder, and cayenne pepper (mix this in with the panko crumbs)
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Slice the broccoli stems into thin coins.
Prep your egg wash and panko mix (panko crumbs + spices).
Dip the coins into a bath of egg wash and then coat them in the panko mix. Next, place them on a cookie sheet and bake for about 10 minutes until coins are tender and fragrant.

(TONS of additional pictures on Keep It Simple Foods)

No comments:

Post a Comment